Popular Posts

Friday 21 December 2012

A dangerous method

So I've spoke before on my dislike for Keira Knightley, and her general one-dimensional acting qualities. But in the last two films I've seen her in- 'Anna Karenina' and this, she has actually been a really interesting and compelling character.

I dont think her character, Sabina, was an easy one to play, considering the sensitive nature of her illness and the effect it is having on her adult life. At the start of the film, she was sufficiently insane, but grew out of that well and into a likable but still visibly unstable female lead. Maybe Knightley just suits foreign parts? Either way I liked her in this and as the tortured lover Anna.

I found the relationship between Jung and Freud interesting to watch, and well played by both Michael Fassbender and Viggo Mortensen. They seemed to have the appropriate professional relationship at the start of the film and grew into suitable competitiors, both displaying the characters they had been assigned- particularly in Mortensens case with Sigmund Freud. As with the case of Sabina, I think that Freud would be a very hard character to play, given his views on the human psyche and his addiction to cocaine- although the film does not touch upon this aspect of the man I believe it would change the character on a whole. 

Fassbender gives an interesting performance of Jung, showing the professionalism within his character but at the same time the flaw, in falling for the patient. I've only ever seen this actor in 'Shame', where he plays a much different character, but I think it shows  that he is a versatile actor and a bloody high quality one at that.

I'm struggling to find the words to describe this film if I'm honest, mainly because I think it was so character based that they are the only things I can comment on- all in all I thought it was a good watch with an interesting story, but I'm not going to put it  up there in a 'Must Buy DVD' (post to come). It might be worth sticking on Lovefilm, but not worth paying more than £10 on.

No comments:

Post a Comment