Popular Posts

Sunday 24 March 2013

Les Miserables

SPOILER ALERT

I've seen this film twice now, and on coming out of both of them I have thought 'I can't blog about this, I was too emotional.' But I've thought more about the film and decided I can! So here goes..

First of all, the actors. Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne and the less well known Samantha Barks, were all amazing!

Hugh Jackman was so captivating, I had a serious mental debate about whether he was good or evil- I was also surprised by his singing voice, although people tell me he's been in quite a lot. When he came out of the sewer, half of me was amazed and half of me wanted to throw up. I thought the way he turned his life around was really inspirational, and although parts of the story were a little exaggerated (which isn't a criticism, but they are a bit) I think a lot of people with bad pasts will relate to this and be inspired by it.

I was surprised by Anne Hathaway in this if I'm honest! I don't normally like her, she seems like a bit of a barbie doll for Hollywood... One Day, Love and other drugs, Alice in Wonderland, Bride Wars, Rachel Getting Married, The Devil Wears Prada... I could go on! Her part in every single one of this films has been, in my opinion, completely shallow and exactly the same character. Her performance of 'I Dreamed A Dream', however, was so filled with emotion and genuineness that it brought me (and not only me I'm sure) to tears. Her death was also beautiful- as much as a death can be really- and as a mother myself, the words she was singing to her daughter Cosette really got to me.

I honestly wish I could say that Amanda Seyfried also surprised me, but she didn't. I'm not saying that she's a bad actress, or what she does isn't enjoyable to watch or without its merit- but it's not exactly going to change the face of movies forever is it? She was hilarious in Mean Girls, and endearing in Dear John, Letters to Juliet and Mamma Mia. She was sweet and endearing in this, but she didn't blow me away. This is partly due to the character, in my opinion, who was not written with the greatest depth of all the female characters in the film.

I had similar feelings towards Marius that I did towards Cosette really- he was a good character in himself, and Eddie Redmayne is a good actor himself- but he isn't the most interesting character in the film, and I worry that Redmayne is just going to get type cast into the same sort of roles in every film- one with little depth that falls in love early and fawns over the girl for the rest of the film- hence this, My Week With Marilyn, Tess of the D'urbevilles. I do think Redmayne has the potential to do more than this, but I'd like to see it happen. 

My favourite female lead in this was definitely Eponine. I felt sorry for her, having con artists and pick pockets for parents, but the way she fought through it and was a cool revolutionary woman was admirable- plus her death was beautiful, it was nice to see a strong independent woman dying for love, as opposed to weak soppy girls letting men die all over the place for them! Samantha Barks isn't an actress I knew very well, but she broke my heart with her performance of 'On My Own' and with her death. Victor Hugo deserves a medal for the way he wrote that character.

With Russell Crowe, I felt like they just picked him in order to get big names in if I'm honest. His singing voice wasn't great, but he did portray the character well- I was really scared for Valjean (Jackman) and Cosette! But no, I think there are better people that could have played the role, but nice effort Crowe!


The subsidiary actors also definitely deserve a mention here, Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter were hilarious as the Thenardier's, Master of the House was the catchiest song of the film, and they just generally lightened the mood! The lead revolutionary, Enjolras, was an inspirational character and a charismatic actor- I've never seen Aaron Tveit in any of his other work, but I'd like to after this performance! I was sad when he died, but it was a heroes death and a necessary one! Gavroche, a young revolutionary, was a lovely character! He made me laugh, and made me root for the revolutionaries. (as if I wouldn't have anyway though.) Nothing made me cry more than his death!

I can't review Les Mis, without talking about the music. Not only did the actors deliver the songs with heart and passion and love, but they were so well written! The tunes were rousing, and conveyed the different characters amazingly, and the lyrics were beautiful, sad, funny, everything.

So basically, to conclude, this film is amazing, beautiful and heartbreaking, and absolutely everyone should see it. Please follow and tweet @HotTinRoofCat

No comments:

Post a Comment